Community Housing Partnership is committed to the health and well-being of our communities, and we recognize that an organization of our size has an impact on the environment. Since 2009, Community Housing Partnership has been implementing a thorough greening program throughout all our impact areas. Recent accomplishments include:
• Housing Development has produced a Green Design Manual so that we will meet our commitment to receiving LEED and GreenPoints certification levels in all current and future projects. We are in the process of performing Green Capital Needs Assessments of all properties in our current portfolio, as we plan upgrades that will reduce each property's environmental footprint.
• Rooftop & Courtyard Gardens. Residents, their children, and community volunteers designed and planted rooftop gardens at Arnett Watson Apartments and the San Cristina, and a courtyard garden at Zygmunt Arendt House.
• Green Living Workshops are now offered at all of our sites. Topics include healthy eating and whole health fitness, food justice, waste reduction, toxics reduction, and energy and water conservation. Participants in these trainings are energized to work to improve the health and well-being of their homes and communities.
• Green Trainings: We incorporated a zero-waste curriculum and waste reduction practices into all of our job training programs. The Supportive Housing Employment Collaborative offers the Recycling and Environmental Awareness Program, which educates participants in environmental stewardship and resource management in preparation for work in the green economy.
• Green Properties: Property management operations have focused on waste diversion increasing our recycling efforts and implementing composting in all properties and offices, while saving thousands of dollars annually in operating costs at each location.